Search This Blog

Sunday, February 17, 2013

The Fellowship of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien part one of the Lord of the Rings trilogy


I just finished reading The Fellowship of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien part one of the Lord of the Rings trilogy. Its my favorite book that I have read so far. When I was reading it I couldn’t put down. Actually I could put it down but I didn’t feel like it. 

I have three things to say about this book:


  • Where exactly is Middle Earth? My brother John swears it is in Mexico but I don’t believe him. Is it on another planet? Is it supposed to be on Earth a long time ago? It is not explained in the first book but it could be in the second or third book.
  • There are two characters in this book who have very similar names. One is Saruman and the other is Sauron. They are both evil wizards.  Every time either of them are mentioned in the book I have to think hard which one of the two he is writing about. But I think it will become easier soon.
  • I think that there are way too many songs. They are too frequent and each one is about a page long. I just skim through them.

The dark riders remind me a lot of John. They are always crawling around on the ground and sniffing people. John says that he is just checking Theo’s (our dog) odor level.

I did not really like that I watched the movie before I read the book because I know most of the exciting parts that are about to happen. The only thing that I didn’t know that was about to happen was when Tom Bombadil rescued the hobbits from the carnivorous trees. That part was not in the movie. 

I have just started reading The Two Towers by J.R.R. Tolkien which is part two of the Lord of the Rings. I am just 28 pages in but it seems just as good as the last one.

by Ben

No comments:

Post a Comment